Fundraising Challenges Offer a New Way to Compete
USTA Mid-Atlantic introduced the first fundraising challenge for the tennis community – the Summer Smash – in 2021 as a way for teams to come together to raise money to support tennis in local communities and the vital work USTA Mid-Atlantic does as a non-profit to make tennis the most accessible sport in the region and bring the life-long benefits of tennis to everyone.
This fundraising challenge brought tennis friends together to give back and do something actionable and meaningful together for a good cause. Individuals and teams came together to rally their communities and networks to donate. As the fundraising went on top achievers earned badges and prizes both as individuals and as a team.
So who stepped up and smashed the 2021 Summer Smash Fundraising Challenege?
Congratulations to the top THREE fundraisers:
- 1st Place: Robin Sanford
- 2nd Place: Jenny Hein
- 3rd Place: Joshua Padgett
Thank you to Community Event Partner, Ruger’s Wafers LLC for sponsoring the 2021 challenge! Thank you to our partners for supporting the challenge with prizes and SWAG for the top fundraisers!
- Doukenie Winery
- Hit Happy
- Marriott Newport News City Center
- M. Price Distributing Company
- Ruger’s Wafers LLC
- Tennis Warehouse
- The Spoiled Office
The next fundraising challenge will be in spring 2022.
You may be wondering why you should participate in something like this.
Here are a few reasons to participate in a tennis fundraising challenge:
- It feels good to do something good. We can all use a little bit of feeling good right now. When your team or friends (or even if you are on your own) participate in the challenge you can feel good knowing that you are helping others in D.C., Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia experience tennis and the benefits of the sport. Many people don’t have access to tennis and your fundraising will help change that.
- Your raised funds will really help. The money you raise will make it easier for someone to learn or play tennis just like you. You will be lowering the barriers to entry and will help make tennis more accessible in communities that are under-resourced.
- Competition. Friendly competition on the tennis courts is fun, and now fundraising for tennis gives you a chance to get competitive off the court too. There are challenge levels to hit and unlock badges, prizes to earn, and you could WIN big by going big with your efforts. Be a winner!
Now we know you all love a good challenge and great competition (and probably want to WIN!) so to have success we’ve put together five tips for a successful fundraiser.
- Make your first donation to your page, $5, $10, $25 or more is a great way to get started and show others you really care.
- Invite your fellow tennis players to join your fundraising team so that together you can reach your goal.
- Share your fundraising page with family and friends and ask them to help you reach your goal.
- Share your page in a text message, on your Facebook page or Instagram page or even send an email! Friends help friends that ask!
- Send thank you notes to all who donate to your page and let them know they are helping to change lives through the sport of tennis!
How to get started?
When we have a fundraising challenge, it is easy to join in and set up your fundraising page and/or team. Follow these steps:
- Click the sign up button on the top right side of the fundraising challenge event page. We will provide a link when the challenge is announced.
- Choose whether you want to fundraise as an individual or start a team.
- Personalize your page with your tennis story, photos and videos.
- Ask your friends and tennis teammates to join your team; you can send them a custom link to sign up on your dashboard.
- Share your fundraising page with friends and family asking them to support you so that more people can experience the benefits of tennis.
Questions? Contact Catie Dugan Vargas, associate director of development, firstname.lastname@example.org.
USTA Mid-Atlantic is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to promoting tennis and its physical, social, and emotional health benefits. We envision a community where tennis is accessible and available for all people to play. USTA Mid-Atlantic has wide-reaching impact. We operate leagues, tournaments and other programs and events throughout the region for over 28,000 adult and youth members. We support the community providers, facilities and coaches that directly deliver the sport. The many health and social benefits of tennis have made it more popular than ever, and USTA Mid-Atlantic’s programs and outreach are rising to meet that demand. Click here to read the additional terms and conditions for the Summer Smash Fundraising event.