Kids want to play tennis and all we have to do is put them on a path to get into the game. But sometimes, things get in the way. The cost of lessons or tennis summer camp fees, or even equipment can be more than some can afford. This is why we fundraise!
We fundraise so that more youth players in need can have the chance to play. We fundraise to support scholarships that can help cover tennis expenses for any level youth tennis player. We fundraise so no one has to fall behind or have less time on the tennis court than someone else.
All children deserve to play tennis and scholarships from USTA Mid-Atlantic make it so more youth can get into and stay in the sport.
Join USTA Mid-Atlantic and fundraise in the Summer Smash challenge. This year all money raised in the challenge will fund scholarships for youth tennis players.
And we need you now more than ever.
In 2022, we had an overwhelming number of applications for the Junior Player Scholarship, more than we had ever seen before. We raised over $10,000 to help youth tennis players in need. But this is not nearly enough to help all that have applied. So many more kids need help and need to be able to play tennis!
Tennis continues to be an outlet for kids to get involved, make friends, and be active. This year’s Summer Smash fundraising will directly fund youth tennis players with scholarships so they gain the healthy benefits of the sport we all love!
Let’s Smash the Challenge Together
This challenge provides a fun, easy way for your team to compete against other Mid-Atlantic teams to see how much money you can raise for the USTA Mid-Atlantic Junior Scholarship program. It’s truly a special experience.
“It’s fun sharing something important to me and telling others about its benefits,” said Robin Sanford, the top fundraiser in the 2021 Summer Smash Challenge. “I also love a challenge!”
Over the last 10 years, USTA Mid-Atlantic has awarded over 100 youth players with scholarships to help cover expenses related to tennis and keep them playing. The goal is to raise $15,000 or more to fund more youth player scholarships and respond to the growing need among players and their families/caregivers.
Here are the easy steps to get your fundraiser on a roll:
- SIGN UP
Click here to register as an individual with the option to join a team later!
- SHARE YOUR PAGE
Personalize your page with your tennis story, photos and videos then share the news with your network.
- GET MORE SUPPORTERS
Ask your friends and tennis teammates to join your team; you can send them a custom link to sign up on your dashboard. Also, share your fundraising page with friends and family asking them to support you so that more kids can experience the benefits of tennis!
“I set up my page and then emailed it to about 15 people individually, who I thought might be willing to help,” Sanford said. “These were family and friends who I thought would be willing to support my effort and help a good cause, they responded very generously.”
Here are four tips to help guide you towards a successful fundraiser:
- Make your first donation to your page, $5, $10, $25 or more is a great way to get started and show others you really care.
- Invite your fellow tennis players to join your fundraising team so that together you can reach your goal!
- Share your fundraising page with family and friends and ask them to help you reach your goal. Share your page in a text message, on your Facebook page or Instagram page or even send an email! Friends help friends that ask!
- Send thank you notes to all who donate to your page and let them know they are helping to change lives through the sport of tennis!
The Perks of the Summer Smash
Now, we do know tennis players love a little friendly competition! In recognition of that, you and your team could WIN big by going big with your efforts.
Summer Smash 2023 top fundraiser prizes:
The top 4 teams that raise the most money (under $10,000) can pick one of the following prizes*:
- Citi Open Experience! Includes (15) tickets for your team to attend the 2023 Citi-Open this summer in Washington DC
- Boar’s Head Resort 2 Hour Clinic up to (8) players and after clinic enjoy beverages with your team at Three Notch’d Brewery in Charlottesville.
- Dave Marshall Tennis Camp at Rehoboth Beach 2 Hour Clinic up to (8) players, (8) $25 Tennis Warehouse Gift Card
- Wintergreen Resort 2 Hour Clinic up to (8) players and Team Apparel from Thirty Love
If your Team raises $10,000+ you will be upgraded to receive:
- Tickets for up to Ten (10) guests to the Centennial Gala on Friday, December 1, 2023, at the National Portrait Museum
*Teams that raise the most funds will have the first prize selection.
The challenge ends July 16th, so let’s get started!
Participating in Summer Smash is a great way to begin leaving your impact on the Mid-Atlantic tennis community, but your journey doesn’t have to stop there! If you’re looking to do more to grow tennis in your community, there are various ways to get involved year-round and make an impact.
Questions? Contact Amy O’Brien, Development Manager, email@example.com.
To stay up to date on all things tennis in the Mid-Atlantic make sure to follow USTA Mid-Atlantic on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
USTA Mid-Atlantic is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to promoting tennis and its physical, social, and emotional health benefits. Learn about our impact in the Section and how USTA Mid-Atlantic creates community, character, and well-being.
You must be logged in to post a comment.