“My son was interested in tennis but not a huge fan. After attending the [USTA Mid-Atlantic’s] TGA program after school, he is a FAN! He wants me to sign him up for classes over the summer so he’s ready for next year’s after school program! Thank you for lighting this fire under him and getting him enthused about something other than his iPad!” – Amy K.
This is a real testimonial submitted to USTA Mid-Atlantic from a mother of a child that participated in our after school tennis program, called TGA Premier Youth Tennis, in Prince William County, Va. This quote exemplifies the objective of our program and our vision – to introduce all children to tennis and to inspire a passion for healthy, active lifestyles through the sport that will last a lifetime.
Since 2016, we’ve had more than 15,000 youth participate in our programs and learn a sport they may not otherwise have had the chance to try. Consider the fact that during 2018, on average 17 percent of children age 6 to 12 engaged in NO sport activity¹.
We are actively combating this trend!
Thanks to the support of generous donations, our after school and summer camp tennis program continues to grow and see significant success engaging local youth with the healthy, and positive benefits tennis provides.
This fall alone, our after school tennis programs held more than 200 sessions with more than 5,000 registered. This is more registrations in our program than we had in all of 2018, and 2019 is on track to have a 41 percent increase (or more) in registrations compared to last year – that is A LOT of kids playing tennis and having fun with the sport.
When you give, you help support the impact we can have through our programs. Here are a few highlights of the successes from the fall season of the USTA Mid-Atlantic after school tennis program:
Anne Arundel, Md.:
- Thanks to a generous donation from the Anne Arundel County Tennis Association (AACTA), a scholarship was offered to Lindale Middle School for after school tennis. The scholarship provided a six-week tennis program and racquets to 14 students.
- Fleet Elementary School was the first after school tennis program offered in this area of Northern Virginia and the program was completely full.
- Four elementary school programs achieved all-time high registrations including Charles Barrett Elementary School (45 students), Aldrin Elementary School (25 students), Fort Hunt Elementary (26 students) and Belvedere Elementary School (22 students).
Howard County, Md.:
- Tennis after school programs held in the county had more than 700 registrations in the fall season alone, which is the highest of all of our areas offering programs.
Loudoun County, Va.:
- Fall tennis after school program registrations grew by 18 percent compared to last year and programs were introduced at three new elementary schools in the county.
Prince William County, Va.:
- The fall season marked the highest single season participation in tennis after school programs with 272, and overall participation has increased 15.8 percent compared to this time last year.
- After school tennis at Woolridge Elementary set a record for the most kids – 81 – participating in the calendar year.
- For the 2019 calendar year, programs in West Virginia had 700 registrations, setting a new record and at North Elementary School, 70 students went through the after school tennis program during the year – also setting a new record for participation!
We depend on continued support to achieve such significant growth and reach even more children, especially those in underserved areas of our region. No matter the circumstances we want EVERY CHILD to play tennis and we remain committed to subsidizing costs to make it happen. Tax-deductible donations help us give more kids the chance to play.
You can make a difference and make sure that the next generation gains the benefits, and fun, of tennis. Give today, especially before the end of 2019, so that your gift to USTA Mid-Atlantic Section can be part of the $10,000 match being made by an anonymous donor.
USTA Mid-Atlantic Section, Inc. is an exempt organization as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; EIN 54-1472806. All donations made to USTA Mid-Atlantic Section Inc. are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
- 2019 Sport & Fitness Industry Association Sports, Fitness, And Leisure Activities Topline Participation Report.