At USTA Mid-Atlantic we often say tennis is so much more than a game played with a racquet and ball.
As Thanksgiving is upon us, we started thinking about the sport we love and why we are so thankful for being able to grow the game in the region. Number one on our list: YOU! We are thankful for players like you that make the Mid-Atlantic Section a great place for tennis. USTA Mid-Atlantic tennis creates community, character, and well-being.
By reflecting on this appreciation we hope more people can understand why tennis is special and feel motivated to show their support during the charitable giving season. When you make a gift, your support for tennis is felt today and always.
Here are a few other reasons tennis makes us thankful. What would you add?
Tennis makes us thankful for…
- A double fault-free day
- A sport that may help us live longer than adults that play other sports
- Drop shots that only fall on our opponents side
- Hitting an ace here or there
- Physical activity that doesn’t feel like exercise because tennis is too much fun
- Giving kids a healthy, enriching outlet that builds character skills for life
- Teammates, that become best friends, that become family thanks to tennis. Want to find some tennis friends too? You can start here!
- A way for all generations to connect through a shared passion and being able to play at any stage of life
- Red, orange, green tennis balls; racquets and courts sized right for kids to have fun and fall in love with the game right away
- Confidence that comes from being on the court and goes well-beyond the court
Oh, but there is more!
- An NTRP rating and the excitement coming our way on December 1, 2022
- Life-lessons learned through the game – mental fortitude, honesty, sportsmanship and so much more
- Leadership opportunities that are meaningful – being a captain, playing in the first line, volunteering, coaching
- Volunteers who get involved and make a direct impact on the section! Volunteers are truly the heart of USTA Mid-Atlantic.
- We’re thankful for the Summer Smash and all who participated. Thanks to them, we were able to respond to the overwhelming amount of youth scholarship applications and award a second round of funding to deserving youth players!
- Competition and a chance to continually improve, even win a Regional, Sectional or National title in adulthood thanks to USTA Mid-Atlantic Leagues.
- Recognition earned for good sportsmanship
- Stress relief from hitting the fuzz off the ball
- Programs that provide not only access but also social emotional learning such as our USTA Mid-Atlantic Girls Rule the Court™ program. Through this program, young girls build self-esteem and gain confidence while learning tennis at low to no cost.
- The next generation of tennis greats and their coaches and teachers innovating around the game
- The satisfaction that comes from hearing the pop of the tennis ball off your racquet when you hit it just right
- Giving back through the sport and being able to support programs that are making a difference such as the Mid-Atlantic Section’s Junior Player Scholarships, Facility Restoration Grant, and our Community Engagement Grant.
- Amazing Mid-Atlantic’s own Pro tennis players that do big things on the biggest stages: Frances Tiafoe, Robin Montgomery, Clervie Ngounoue, Denis Kudla, Hailey Baptiste and so many more
- Diversity and bringing people of all types, ages, abilities and backgrounds together through a shared passion
What would you add to the list that we have not included? Leave a comment or tweet us (@USTAMidAtlantic) with your comment using #ThankfulforTennis. Happy Thanksgiving from USTA Mid-Atlantic!
USTA Mid-Atlantic is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to promoting tennis and its physical, social, and emotional health benefits. Learn about our impact in the Section and how USTA Mid-Atlantic creates community, character, and well-being.