A few aspects of Mid-Atlantic juniors tournaments have changed in 2017. Please be aware of these changes. We’re looking forward to another great year of junior tennis!
- Updated MAS Tournament Pathway The youth pathway begins with short duration tournaments, short match formats, and low entry fees. Players then progress to longer competitions, longer match formats, and corresponding reasonable increases in maximum recommended entry fees. ALL PLAYERS SHOULD FAMILIARIZE THEMSELVES WITH THE TOURNAMENT PATHWAY.
- MAS Tri Champion Series to replace State Championships.
- Clay Courts (L5): July 22nd
- Hard Courts (L4): August 12th
- Indoor Hard Courts (L5): December 26th (Consolations played through second round maximum to guarantee two matches)
- For each surface, the section shall offer three sites per age division, distributed regionally throughout the Section
- All events will be closed to Mid-Atlantic players.
Players may only compete in one age division and register for ONE site only, but are not required to play in their state of residence. For example, a player from Northern Virginia may opt to play B16s at a site in DC or MD because that is closer to his residence. But, he may ONLY register for one site for this surface. Results from these events contribute to the Tri-Champion Points Race which determines an overall 2017 Champion per age group. To win the championship all points must be earned in same age division.
- BG 12U Challenger Schedule: The will be TWO concurrent 12U Challenger events in each of February, April, November, and December. Each draw will be limited to 32 players using single elimination format and offer a doubles draw of up to 16 teams, single elimination format. For each month players may only register for one location, and each event will count for equal points.
- National Hard Court Championship Endorsement: The winners of the June Level 3 USTA/MAS Super 700 Championship draws will automatically be placed as #1 on the endorsement list for the USTA National Hard Court Championship in August for the corresponding age group. These winners do not need to meet the endorsement requirements of having played in three “super six” events.
- BG 18s National Team Selection Process: MAS Selection to BG 18s National Team Championships will be as follows: One spot to June MAS BG 18s Super 700 Level 3 Championship winner, one spot to a wildcard selected by coaches’ commission, the remaining 5 spots will be based on the current USTA-MAS Standings List calculated immediately following the June MAS Super 700 Championships. If the winner of the June MAS Super 700 Championship elects not to participate or if a wildcard is not granted, the remaining spot(s) will default to the standing list.